About Cumming Utilities
For many years, Cumming and Forsyth County has been described as one of the fastest growing regions in the nation and this trend continues today. Clean water is a health priority, but it is also an economic necessity for quality growth. Our communities, schools, businesses and farms can’t operate without it.
Cumming Utilities leads the way in the region with our conservative approach to constructing state‐ofthe‐ art infrastructure and utilities while maintaining environmental integrity and financial stability. Some of the services we provide are as follows:
Raw water withdrawal from Lake Lanier for Forsyth County
- Customer Service and Billing
- Development Plan Review and Inspections
- Water and Sewer Engineering
- Garbage Collection
- Drinking Water Treatment
- Drinking Water Distribution
- Sanitary Sewer Treatment
- Sanitary Sewer Collection
- Storm Water Management
- Cross Connection Control
Cumming Utilities was established along with the City of Cumming by an act of the General Assembly of the State of Georgia in 1835. Initially, the City operated a series of wells that provided water to the downtown area. As the City grew, the need for good clean water also grew. The City then turned to surface water and build three small dams on local creeks and pumped the water to the City’s original water treatment facility built in the early 1940’s. The area grew slowly over the next 4 decades and the Cumming Water Production Facility saw three more upgrades; one in 1959, one in 1969, and one in 1979.
With the 1979 upgrade came the need for a more reliable water source and the City secured its first raw water withdrawal contract from the Georgia EPD and the US Army Corps of Engineers. The decision to secure a withdrawal permit from Lake Lanier could be the single most important decision in Forsyth County history.
Wastewater treatment began in the early 1960’s with the construction of the City’s oxidation pond on Castleberry Road in downtown Cumming. This pond is now the site of the Cumming Fairgrounds.
During the 80’s, growth skyrocketed and the City made the decision to construct a 2 Million Gallon per Day (MGD) wastewater treatment facility on Bethelview Road. That state‐of‐the‐art facility has been expanded and today can treat and average of 8 MGD.